Posted: January 8, 2021
Important Updates for Our New School Year 2021 Regarding the Covid-19 Orange Level and School Protocol.
**PLEASE NOTE: SCHOOL IS IN FULL OPERATION AND FOLLOWING THE COVID-19 PROTOCOL PLAN.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE CONTACT THE SCHOOL.
Dear Parents, Guardians, Students and Staff:
We warmly welcome the return of all our students and staff for our next semester of our 2020-21 school year! We are providing you with information on the current status of the Orange Level and Recovery State by providing this document:
Changes in Directives for Early Learning and Childcare Facilities and Schools.
As we were informed by the Government of New Brunswick's Minister and Public Health Team on Covid-19, all schools are open and operational and following our Protocol plans set out by each school. This document that is attached is to provide information on the directions we must take as families, communities and within our school community.
We are asking parents and guardians for the new school year to assist in the following preventative measures:
**Please provide your child(ren) with 2 masks per day.
**Please ensure that your Primary, Elementary and Middle school students are wearing APPROPRIATE Winter Weather CLOTHING for outdoors as we will be having many outdoor classes, in addition to outdoor recess and lunch hour break times, as a preventative measure.
***APPROPRIATE WINTER CLOTHING: Winter Coats/Snowpants, Boots, Hats, Mitts, layers of warmth underneath (hoodies, sweaters that may be removed indoors if needed). We are requesting that students do NOT wear light footwear outside to prevent wet/cold feet that may lead to a student getting sick.
***2 Masks per Student per Day. Please ensure that your child's masks are washed regularly and immediately after school if they are reusable. A dirty mask can lead to sickness as well.
***Please ensure that your child understands not to touch other's masks, faces, ect.
(Parents and Guardians: PLEASE ENSURE that you read the attached document from the Government of New Brunswick, IN FULL so that you understand the required protocol for the Orange level. I have attached some of the information pertaining to our school's operational plan. Please refer to the document in full.)
Early Learning and Childcare Facilities:
• Children under 5 years of age in early learning and childcare facilities are not required to wear a community mask within their group. However, children between 2 and 4 years old are required to wear a community mask in common areas such as corridors and bathrooms. Children must be supervised depending on the child’s ability to tolerate the mask, as well as, when putting on and taking off the mask.
• School-age children (4-12) in early learning and childcare facilities are required to wear a mask at all times, including within the classroom, in common spaces, and outdoors. Exceptions will be when they are working silently, eating, or in play during sports activities. • School-age children being transported by early learning and childcare facilities are required to wear a mask at all times while in the vehicle.
• School-age children and early learning and childcare facility employees are expected to bring two clean community masks with them each day.
Public Schools/Band Operated Schools:
• Students in Grades K-12 are required to wear a mask on a school bus, even when sitting alone or with a member of the same household.
• Students in Grades K-8 are required to wear a mask at all times at school, including outside. Exceptions are when students are sitting at a desk working silently, eating, or engaged in sports activities during physical education class.
• Students in Grades 9-12 are required to wear a mask at all times at school, including outside. Exceptions are when students are eating, engaged in sports activities or during physical education class.
• School personnel are required to wear a mask at all times at school, including outside. Exceptions are when they are eating or sitting alone in their closed office or classroom.
Screening: (Please ensure that if your child is sick or has a temperature, keep your child home and contact the school.)
• Active screening will be done before entering an early learning and childcare facility. This applies to early learning and childcare facility staff, children, and all other personnel deemed essential such as representatives from Public Health, WorkSafe NB or the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
• Early learning and childcare facilities must establish specific rules regarding access to the facility and must post the screening requirements at the entrance of the early learning and childcare facility.
• Parents and guardians will not be permitted to enter an early learning and childcare facility during an Orange Alert Level, please contact the school at 776-1206, if you have an questions concerning your child.
Information Regarding Immunocompromised Students or Staff:
• Students and school personnel who are immunocompromised should contact their health care provider for direction. Distance learning plans will be put in place. The IWK has defined immunocompromised as being a person who:
-is having chemotherapy currently or have within the last 6 months o is having radiation therapy
-has received a bone marrow transplant in the last year or Graft Versus Host Disease
-is a recipient of a solid organ transplant
-has sickle cell disease
-has a spleen that does not work
-has a genetic cause for immune dysfunction
-is taking immunosuppressive medication
-has other history of immune suppression, as defined by a Physician.
We will continue to practice our safety measures on a daily basis and appreciate your assistance in your own homes as well. Together, we can do our best to prevent any contact!
Esgenoopetitj School Staff.